Musings and updates at twitter.com/capriccioblog

Saturday 25 February 2012

Dvorak with Mischa Maisky and Bamberger Symphoniker

24/02/2012
Festspielhaus
Baden-Baden

Hanging around in Baden-Baden during the Ariadne auf Naxos run (and my god is it boring here), I decided to go and review this. The short version is Maisky: schrecklich!, Bambergers: toll! Read it here on Bachtrack.

One thing I don't mention in the review is the fact that Maisky wiped his face with a towel vigorously in EVERY orchestral tutti. I started counting how many times he did it and it ranged between 15 and 25 wipes EACH time. Extremely distracting and quite unpleasant to watch. And the playing is just not good. He also played an encore of the Sarabande from the second Bach suite which was the most phraseless, vibrato'd un-in-time Bach playing I have ever heard live. Mystifying. Having never seen him live before I am perplexed as to why he has such a following. Perhaps he was good in his youth?

No comments:

Post a Comment